Basic Wood Turning and Pen Making- May 25
Date and Time: May 25, 8:30 to 4:30
Continental Breakfast and Lunch Provided
Course outline: Pen Turning 101
Create 2 pens from the woods of your choice while learning the basics of woodturning.
Pen turning boils down to turning a cylinder. The body, consisting of one or more blanks, is bored and fitted with a brass cylinder, mounted to a lathe, and then turned, finished, and assembled.
Course Outline: Introduction to Wood Turning
- Shop safety: Review on how to protect your lungs, eyes, ears and fingers.
- Discussion on wood Turning, its origins, it’s evolution and its increasing popularity.
- The Lathe, discussion on types, models with focus on home shop requirements.
- Chucks and other holding devices,
- Chisels and gouges. How to use and sharpen. Introduction to carbide.
- Demonstration on the different cuts we use.
- Class Turning. We will set up 7 lathes to practice the basic cuts. Cylinder, cove and bead.
- Pen Turning Demo on mounting pen blanks on a mandrel and turning the blanks.
- Students will select the two pen styles they will be creating. One will be a Slimline and the other a more advanced model
- Drilling and gluing. We will drill the wood blanks and epoxy the brass tubes.
- Lunch: Anthony’s Coal Fired Pizza
- Pen Turning, We will square up the pen blanks using the drill press and pen mill. Mount and complete on the pen mandrel.
- Sand and finish on the lathe.
- Assembly using the pen press
- Pen # 2 Repeat step #12.
- Shop clean up.
- Group photo
Out of stock